Peer to Peer Classes
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a free, 8-session educational program for adults with mental illness who are looking to better understand their condition and journey toward recovery.
To register, contact the NAMI PBC office at 561-588-3477.
Would you …..
* Like to learn more about your mental illness?
* Benefit by being around others that know what its like living with mental illness?
* Be interested in developing a Relapse Prevention Plan?
If so, please join us for Peer-to-Peer, an eight-week free structured course that will help you in your quest to live well with mental illness. You will learn about self-advocacy and, at the same time, create a special bond with others in the course.
The NAMI Peer-to-Peer Education Course – Peer to Peer is for any individual (18 years and older) living with a serious mental illness who is interested in establishing and maintaining their wellness and recovery. Each class is two hours in length and continues for eight consecutive weeks
The Course uses a combination of lecture, interactive exercise and structured group processes, and the diversity of experience among the course participants affords for a lively dynamic that moves the course along.
Who can take it? – The course is designed to offer an opportunity for growth to any individual 18 years and older who experiences mental illness.
Who are the teachers? – The course is taught by two trained “mentors” who are themselves experienced at living well with mental illness.
What is taught exactly?
Class 1 GETTING STARTED – MENTAL HEALTH AND RECOVERY
- Explore different viewpoints of mental health and recovery
- Create a personal vision statement
Class 2 THE BRAIN AND THE BODY
- Learn about the relationship between mental health and overall physical health
- Understand the impact of the environment and the brain on mental health conditions
- SMART goals
Class 3 TELLING MY STORY
- Share personal stories
- Explore the benefits and limitations of mental health diagnoses
Class 4 STRENGTHENING RELATIONSHIPS
- Build connections with others
- Improve communication skills
Class 5 GROWING SUPPORT NETWORKS
- Build a nurturing circle of support
Class 6 TOOLS FOR ENHANCING RECOVERY
- Respond to stress effectively
- Learn about different types of therapies and medications
- Look more closely at goals
Class 7 MY STORY, MY STRENGTHS
· Understand personal stories in a new way
· Prepare for conversations with mental health providers
Class 8 MOVING FORWARD
· Revisit personal visions
· Plan next steps