NAMI Youth Peer Mentoring Program
NAMI PBC’s Youth Peer Mentoring Program encourages independence by providing education, support and assistance to enable youth (ages 12-24) with a mental health condition to meet their full potential.
Peer Specialists/Mentors are an important part of our team, adding a layer that is crucial to the success of both the individual served and their family. A Peer Specialist/Mentor will be assigned to work one-on-one with the individual during weekly visits in the home. The Peer Specialist/Mentor will work with the individual to develop goals designed around their needs and their vision for their future.
The NAMI PBC Youth Peer Mentoring Program is offered free of charge to youth (ages 12-24) living in Palm Beach County.
What will my daughter/son learn?
- Independent living, social and coping skills
- Identifying and building on personal strengths
- Learning to budget and manage finances
- Developing strategies to minimize challenges
- Identifying skills, interests and qualifications
- Educational and vocational skills
- Accessing community resources and community participation skills
- Recreational skills
- Accessing appropriate social groups
- Identifying and building natural supports into their life
- Creating a community network of support
- Crisis planning
Individuals, family members, or agency/healthcare personnel may refer to this service by calling NAMI PBC and requesting Peer Mentoring Services. The caller will provide information to the NAMI PBC Program Manager. The NAMI PBC Program Manager will assign a Peer Specialist/Mentor to work with the individual and will contact the parent/guardian of the individual requiring services to schedule an initial visit. Those present at the initial visit are the individual receiving services, parent/guardian, Peer Specialist/Mentor, Program Manager and, possibly, agency/healthcare personnel. Subsequent weekly visits will be scheduled by the Peer Specialist/Mentor during the initial visit.
To make a referral, please call the Program Manager at (561) 323-2770.